Thursday, October 16, 2008

Financial Nightmare? Living With Certainty


These last few weeks have been a nightmare in the financial markets around the world. Economists and world leaders are scrambling to stabilize and find solutions to the current melt down and erosion of certainty in the markets. The last time I checked my RRSP, if yours is like mine you have probably have seen a significant decline in your portfolio. For many there is growing concern over how as Christians we should respond to this crisis. Since I am not a financial adviser, I cannot comment on what you should do or not do as it relates to the markets. Here's what I can say from a common sense perspective: (For both good & bad times....)

1. Choose to live within your means. Much of the meltdown in the economy is the result of too many people living on credit they cannot afford.

2. Review your personal or family budget. Has anything changed that warrants an adjustment in your spending patterns? We have a tendency to spend at the same pace when income was strong, but when income declines; to not cut back until it’s too late. Make a list and ask yourself; is there anything we can live without? Do I really need this or do I want this? Can I afford this? Can we wait? Over the years Barb and I at various times have agreed to what we call 'a spending freeze', keeping us from making many impulsive or needless purchases.

The last thing I want to say in these uncertain economic times is: Choose to live by the principles of God’s economy as taught in His Word.

Jesus said in: Matthew 6:19 – 33, “Store up treasures in heaven, not treasures on earth.” He also said not to live in fear and to worry about…. “'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

One way we put God first is in the giving of our tithes and offerings. The Bible says that the tithe, the first fruits or tenth of our income is holy and belongs to the Lord. (Leviticus 27:30) It is my responsibility in both good times and bad to bring to the Lord what belongs to him. It is in these times of uncertainty that I want to be sure I am fully anchored in God’s plan of economy. Someone said to my wife the other day: “it was hard the last time they wrote out their tithe cheque” but choose to do it anyway as an act of faith.

The Bible says in (Malachi 3:10) “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”

I have often said, I want to live by faith and not by fear. When I tithe, I am declaring my faith. I am acknowledging that God is my provider and I am fully trusting in Him.

Together as a CPC family, let us continue to live with the certainty of God's presence in these uncertain times.

Living With Certainty

Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment