Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Trip To City Hall

This week I made my annual trip to City Hall to pay my taxes. This year God spoke to my heart to go with a different attitude. Instead of grumbling and complaining I needed to understand what it means to be a responsible and contributing citizen of my community. I needed to have an attitude of gratitude. I was reminded how it takes all of us as citizens contributing that helps make the Comox Valley a great place to live. I thought of the impact if even 25% or 50% of our citizens decided not to pay their taxes this year. It would not take long before decline would set in. Eg. Roads, Protection, Policing, Parks & Recreation, Water, Garbage, Vision & Planning, Fire Department & More. All need our support. So this week when I paid my taxes I gave the lady taking my money a thankyou card to pass on to our City Officials and City Employees. I wanted to thank them for helping make the Comox Valley one of the greatest places on earth to live. Do I agree with every decision that City Hall makes? No. Would I do some things different? Yes. At the same time I need to remain a responsible and contributing member of my community.

God also used this picture to remind me I am also a Citizen of Heaven.(Philippians 3) Along with rights and privileges, spiritual citizenship also has responsibilities. Being a responsible, contributing member of a local church is one way that we as spiritual citizens are called to help advance God's kingdom here on earth. I was reminded that when I give my tithes (first tenth of my income) and offerings it is part of responsible spiritual citizenship. All of us are invited to do our part. God is using local churches all around the world to help advance his kingdom. My prayer is that as citizens of heaven and as members of Comox Pentecostal Church that we would commit our selves to giving generously. That we would commit ourselves where possible and in faith to even give beyond the tithe. The Bible says we are to "excel in the grace of giving." It is as we give responsibly and generously that the works and activities of God Kingdom are supported and advanced. Barb and I are recommitting ourselves to giving with an attitude of gratitude. We strongly believe in the ministries and future of Comox Pentecostal Church and want to help provide for it.

Blessings
Pastor Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment